The church was built in 1874 on land given by the Starkie family originally as a daughter church of St. Leonard’s, Padiham until 2002, when it became a parish church in its own right. The church is now a joint benefice with the neighbouring parish of St. Anne’s, Fence.
St. John’s is the only Christian congregation currently meeting in Higham, so the church welcomes people of all Christian traditions and none, and tries to develop a style which is flexible and open to the strengths that other churches bring.
St. John the Evangelist Church of England
Higham Hall Road, Higham, Burnley, BB12 9EU
Higham St John’s Church has an unusual tradition at weddings. Following a marriage, the local children secure the the gates of the church by tying them together.
The gates and more importantly the newly married couple are released when the bridegroom throws them some money (coins). This is believed to be known as “Parrying up”.